Dog Care

Did You Know That These Common Indoor Plants Are Poisonous For Pets?

Did You Know That These Common Indoor Plants Are Poisonous For Pets?

Written By Amica Graber

Jan 17, 2017

Indoor Plants Safe For Pets (And The Toxic Ones You Should Avoid) Infographic

poisonous plants for dog infographic

Any interior design aficionado who has spent an evening on Pinterest lately may have noticed a common denominator among the most eye-catching #inspo photos: plants!

Houseplants are wonderful for so many reasons. They add a touch of jungalow-inspired glam to a boring rental, they’re relatively inexpensive, and they actively improve the indoor air quality by filtering air.

But have you ever considered whether or not your favorite indoor houseplant might be toxic for your dog? You might be harboring a surprising amount of poisonous plants for cats and dogs! And by “surprising amount,” I mean all of them. Basically all of them.

If you have a dog that would eat a rock if given the chance, it’s better to take no risks when it comes to toxic houseplants. Here are some of the most common indoor plants that are poisonous for both cats and dogs. As always, when in doubt, talk to your vet.

Split-Leaf Philodendron

Source

The split-leaf philodendron is known by its scientific name as Monstera Deliciosa, and it sure is a delicious monster when it comes to pets with a curious appetite! The following symptoms may occur if your pet chews on this plant:

  • Oral irritation

  • Intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue, and lips

  • Excessive drooling

  • Vomiting

  • Difficulty swallowing

Aloe Vera

Source

While aloe vera is commonly used to create healing ointments for burned and scraped humans, the plant is poisonous for dogs and cats. Symptoms include:

  • Vomiting

  • Depression

  • Diarrhea

  • Anorexia

  • Tremors

  • Change in urine color

Related: Why Can’t Dogs Eat Chocolate?

Jade Plant

jade plant leaves

The jade plant has many names. The scientific name is Crassula arborescens, but it also goes by Chinese rubber plant and Japanese rubber plant. As if those diverse geographical regions weren’t confusing enough, the American rubber plant (Peperomia) is one of a few safe indoor plants for dogs. The jade plant, however, is extremely toxic to cats and dogs. Whereas most plants are harmful if ingested, the jade plant is also harmful for your pet’s skin, so make sure you purge your home of the jade plant if you have free-range fluffers on the loose. Symptoms of the jade plant poisoning may include:

  • Vomiting

  • Depression

Ivy

ivy
Source

Regular ole’ ivy is one of the most toxic plants for cats and dogs. If you have ivy growing around your home, or inside as a potted plant, it’s time to rehome it or put it somewhere where Fido and Mittens will never be able to reach it. Caution: this task is likely impossible, so err on the side of caution and rehome your ivy collection. Ivy can cause:

  • Respiration problems

  • A rash

  • Vomiting

  • Abdominal pain

Related: Can Dogs Get Poison Ivy?

Sago Palm

Source

Although this tropical palm is a beauty to behold, every inch of this plant is severely toxic to pets. Any pet that has ingested any part of the sago palm should be taken to an animal hospital immediately, as consuming this poisonous palm can result in death. The symptoms of sago may include:

  • Vomiting

  • Increased thirst

  • Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis

  • Bruising

  • Coagulopathy

  • Liver damage

  • Liver failure

  • Death

Bird Of Paradise

Source

Prussic acid is a component of the popular bird of paradise plant, and in high doses, it can be fatal to pets. Typically, symptoms will begin to show within 20 minutes of your pet consuming the bird of paradise plant. Symptoms may include:

  • Rapid pulse

  • Muscle tremors

  • Labored breathing

  • Staggering

If your cat or dog has eaten a poisonous plant, immediately contact your vet or call the ASPCA emergency pet poison hotline at 888-426-4435.