Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Not Even A Nibble!
Is it ok for your dog to hang their head out of the car window? What does it mean when dogs eat grass? For every dog-related question, there’s someone with a differing opinion. Everybody knows at least one dog who can eat everything and never get sick. But there are a few answers that we can all agree on, such as a big resounding NO when someone asks, “Can dogs eat grapes?”
Why Can’t Dogs Have Grapes?
Would it suffice to say, “Because the vet said so”? The exact toxin is unknown, but the jury is unanimous on this one. PetMD reports that the toxic reaction to grapes is well documented and can happen to any dog. Unlike other fruits or vegetables, there is no amount of grapes that is safe for a dog to eat, and even a small amount can result in acute kidney failure, which can be fatal.
The exact toxin in grapes is unknown, but what we do know there is no type of grape that is safe. Green, red, white, seedless, or organic — they all are toxic to dogs.
Here’s a list of possible symptoms your dog might have after eating something toxic:
- Lethargy or weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Small amount, or lack of urination
- Oral ulcers
Even if none of these symptoms are present, if you see grapes in your dog’s vomit or fecal matter, seek immediate treatment. It doesn’t matter if your pup has a stomach of steel – keep grapes (and raisins!) safely out of snout’s reach.
If you suspect that your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, seek treatment immediately. Locate your nearest 24 hour veterinary clinic and call the pet poison hotline at 855-764-7661.